An Exercise Specialist provides fundamental services to members participating in EPIC Delaware/EPIC Abilities.
- Contributes to members’ wellness by collaboratively identifying individualized fitness goals and exercises.
- Promotes and maintains health and wellness through customized personalized fitness programs to members.
- Instructs and coaches members when describing and demonstrating appropriate exercises while always maintaining safety. Implements manual exercises such as: assisted exercises, ambulatory functional activities, and daily living activities.
- Assists members/Positions members into supportive devices such as wheelchairs, TRAMS etc.
- Accurately documents member exercise data into appropriate databases.
- Maintains safe and clean work environments in compliance with procedures, regulations and infection-control policies and procedures. Trains and monitors staff on specific equipment deemed necessary by Executive Director.
- Communicates effectively with members, family members, caregivers, guardians and EPIC and YMCA staff.
- Adhere to federal, state, and DDDS requirements. Maintains member confidentiality /HIPPA standards.
- Maintains necessary licenses, state required competencies, required EPIC training competencies and certifications.
- Maintains a positive and encouraging attitude in regard to EPIC members, family/caregivers, guardians, and stakeholders.
Read, understand, and be prepared to act upon all safety requirements within the program areas.
- Bachelor’s degree in Athletic Training or Exercise Science, or Associate degree in Physical Therapy Assistant or related field; or 3 years of experience and education in working with individuals with disabilities in a therapy/exercise capacity and a national Personal Training certification.
- Licensed as a physical therapist or physical therapist assistant or certified adaptive fitness trainer.
- Experience working with adults with intellectual and physical disabilities, including but not limited to
tram transfers and exercise/stretching with individuals that use assisted devices for mobilitywheelchair,
cane, walker, etc.
- Transfer of members up to fully dependent.
- Must be able to lift or rerack weights up to 55 pounds.
- Personal experience using common exercise equipment and performing fundamental movement patterns with and without equipment (squat, lunge, push, pull and press).
- Ability to perform all physical aspects of the position; including exercise and equipment demonstrations, walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting.
Advance our Mission:
- Change Leadership: Facilitates, co-creates, and implements equitable change for the good of the organization and/or community.
- Engaging Community builds bridges with others in the community to ensure the EPIC’s work is community-focused and welcoming of all, providing community benefit.
- Philanthropy: Secures resources and support to advance the EPIC’s work.
Building Relationships: Collaboration: Creates sustainable relationships within the Y and EPIC programs and with other organizations in service to the community. Communication & Influence: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a way that engages, inspires, and builds commitment to the EPIC’s cause. Inclusion: Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and global work, as well as cultural competence.
Leading Operations: Critical Thinking & Decision Making: Makes informed decisions based on logic, data, and sound judgment. Fiscal Management: Manages the EPIC’s resources responsibly and sustains the EPIC’s nonprofit business model. Functional Expertise: Executes superior technical skills for the role. Innovation: Creates and implements new and relevant approaches and activities that improve and expand the EPIC’s work and impact in the community. Program/Project Management: Ensures program or project goals are met and intended impact occurs.
Developing & Inspiring People: Developing Self & Others: Develops self and supports others (e.g., staff, volunteers, members, program participants), both formally and informally, to achieve their highest potential. Emotional Maturity: demonstrates ability to understand and manage emotions effectively in all situations.
DISCLAIMER: EPIC reserves the right to change this job description as conditions change.